|Closing date ||17:00, Monday 11 December 2023|
|Artform and practice(s)||Film|
TG4 and the Arts Council are delighted to announce a new season of ilDÁNA 2023/2024.
ilDÁNA is designed to enhance the TG4 schedule by supporting the making
of ambitious and cinematic long-form documentaries on the arts in Irish.
This year we wish to fund the making of two
feature-length landmark documentary films, each with a budget of up to €135,000.
It is our intention that one of the two documentaries will give expression to inclusivity and
diversity in the arts and actively involve new and under-represented voices.
Submissions for landmark mini
series will also be considered on an exceptional basis. Episodes should be hour long durations and
will also give expression to inclusivity and diversity in the arts.
While we welcome proposals
about any art form or arts practice area, we wish to encourage applications that
explore architecture, theatre, street art and other art forms which are not
regularly the subject of arts documentaries in Irish.
Applications must be made using the TG4 online application system no
later than 17:00 on Monday, 11 December 2023.
Guidelines for ilDÁNA 2023/2024:
- Films commissioned for ilDÁNA will provide a definitive creative treatment of their
- Proposals exploring any art form or practice area
- Contemporary subjects are preferred but
contemporary treatments of historical works/subjects may also be considered.
- Up to two films will be funded with a budget of up
to €135,000 per film. They will launch with dedicated cinema screenings and
will have a theatrical window before broadcast to a primetime TG4 audience in
- It is our intention that one of the two
documentaries to be funded will give
expression to inclusivity and diversity in the arts and actively involve new
and under-represented voices.
- TG4 will administer the
commissioning process of ilDÁNA films and will issue the standard commissioning
- Representatives from TG4, the Arts Council/An
Chomhairle Ealaíon and an independent assessor will make the selection for
- ilDÁNA 2023/2024 films must go to contract by end
of February 2024.
Applications must be made through TG4’s E Comm portal no later than 17:00 on Monday 11 December 2023.
Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- Film duration: feature length or hour-long
- Production Budget: Up to €135,000 per film.
- Format: HD with English subtitles.
- Language: Irish or bilingual.
- Applicants must be able to sign contracts in early 2024 if
Applications for ilDÁNA must include the following:
- A completed ilDÁNA commission form to be uploaded.
- A detailed treatment of the proposal.
- A description of the intended creative approach.
- An exhibition strategy that identifies the film’s national TV
audience plus any plan for theatrical exhibition (film festival/cinema) if
- A detailed production budget and budget summary (including music
clearances, deliverables and marketing materials) – templates are
available on the TG4 website.
- CVs of the creative team involved in the proposal including
director, producer, writer,
- Evidence of ownership to include copies of all option and writers’
agreements entered in respect of story and script, if applicable to the
- Written confirmation in the form of clearances and permissions of
key subject’s willingness to participate, where applicable.
- Three excerpts of the director’s work (not showreel) that inform
- Any other relevant supporting materials that inform the creative
approach for the proposal.
TG4 and the Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon
- Encourage the employment of film practitioners working through the
- Involve gender equality both in terms of contribution and
- Require the provision of equitable conditions and fair remuneration
for artists involved in the making of the ilDÁNA films.
ilDÁNA films will be selected based on:
- The artistic vision of the applicant and his/her
creative approach to the proposed subject.
- The feasibility of the proposal in the context of
the objectives of ilDÁNA.
- The track record of the applicant.
- The extent to which the proposal promotes gender
equality in terms of contribution and production personnel.
- The extent to which one of the two proposals to be
selected gives expression to inclusivity and
diversity in the arts and actively involves new and
- Additional funding (up to €10K per successful
project) may be made available to support theatrical exhibition where a
convincing exhibition strategy is proposed following completion of the films.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to discuss their proposal.
The award will be made by TG4. The standard TG4
commissioning agreement will apply. It is expected that projects will be
completed and available for broadcast on TG4 in 2024/2025.
All proposals need to be submitted electronically
to TG4. Production companies need to first make sure they are registered on the
TG4 e-Commissioning system ecomm.tg4.ie, and then upload before the deadline
by selecting, ‘ilDÁNA 2023 / 2024’,
from the dropdown menu. You will receive an automatic acknowledgment when your
proposal has been submitted. Proposals will not be accepted after the deadline.
- Applicants must comply with all relevant statutory
- All contracts will depend on provision of a Tax
Clearance Certificate from the Revenue Commissioners.
Candidates are informed that the information
provided may be disclosed to the public under the Freedom of Information Act.
- No contract will exist until a formal contract is
signed on behalf of TG4. Copyright for the film rests with the producer.